The medical field is quite tough as compared to the engineering line. The MBBS is an undergraduate program in the medical field. To complete an MBBS degree a student requires 5.5 years. It is often said that it is a very tough course to pursue the MBBS in medical. MBBS has a wide range of syllabus broadly divided into three subject heads Pre-clinical, Para-Clinical, and Clinical. These subjects’ heads further include microbiology, biochemistry, anatomy, pharmacology, physiology, and pathology.
A medical college is an institutional place that provides medical education; the degree is called MBBS in medicine initiated by Indian Medical Council Act, 1956 and continued in National Medical Commission Act 2019. After an MBBS degree, the second step is that doctors have to get registered in the state medical council.
NTA (The National Testing Agency) conducts the NEET exam once a year. NEET undergraduate (UG) is the only single national level entrance test that is conducted for MBBS admission in India. NEET- PG level medical test is conducted by the National Board of Examination (NBE) for the admission of postgraduate medical courses like MD, MS, PG Diploma, and DNB CET. The score of NEET is accepted nationwide by different medical colleges and hospitals.
India has more than 1500 medical colleges registered that have Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery degrees. Few colleges are owned by the government of India and rest are the privately owned. If you are aspirants who wish to get entered into one of the medical colleges, then this article might help you a lot.
Top 10 government medical colleges in India: The ranking of the colleges is described by the NIRF (National Institutional Ranking Framework) for the medical colleges. The ranking is compiled based on education quality, placements score, industry interface, academic productivity, level of students. Followings are the best medical colleges in India for MBBS and PG courses.
- AIIMS, New Delhi: AIIMS New Delhi is ranked in 1st position in the best medical colleges in India. This medical institution provides a variety of medical courses along with the Undergraduate program and Post Graduate programs like Nuclear Medicine Technology, Biochemistry, Anatomy, and many more branches of medicine. The AIIMS entrance exam is conducted every year in May for admission. Although, it is difficult to get admission into AIIMS as it has only 70 seats.
- PGIMER Chandigarh: Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research kept its position in 2nd place. Apart from the undergraduate and postgraduate degree program, it offers another super-specialist course. This institution offers a wide range of education: Medical, research, and training facilities.
- Christian Medical College, Vellore: The best part of the college is it always occupied a top slot in the list of the best medical college in India. This college came into force in 1900 and it runs as an autonomous body. This college is appreciated and known for its initiation of the first bone marrow transplant in 1986, first kidney transplant in 1971, and first open-heart surgery in 1961. The aspirant’s students need to crack the NEET to get admission to this college. The college has 100 seats for the MBBS course.
- King George’s Medical University: This College ranked at 4th position in the top best medical colleges in India. This college was established in 1911 by King George V, The price of Vales. This medical college is known for its infrastructure and good facility. This college is formally known as Chhatrapati Shahuji Maharaj Medical University. Both undergraduate and postgraduate programs are suggested to the aspirants.
- JIPMER, Puducherry: Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research kept the hold on 5th position in the top 10 medical colleges in India. This college is one of the oldest government colleges established in 1823. The institute offers 37 plus undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs. For admission into the JIPMER, students have to clear the college exam. The central government aids the institute, and it is autonomous.
- BHU Varanasi: Banaras Hindu University is a reputable government college in North India that was established in 1960. And is approved by the Medical Council of India (MCI). It also offers undergraduate and postgraduate degree courses. It secured 6th position in the list.
- Institute of Liver and Biliary Science, New Delhi: It is a mono-super specialty hospital for liver and biliary that was established in 2009 securing its position at the 7th no. This college is given the status of deemed university by UGC. It offers only 24 seats for the enrollment of the students.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Aligarh: It is securing 8th position in this ranking. Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Aligarh Muslim University established in 1962. It is one of the oldest and top medical colleges in Uttar Pradesh. This college is a statutory body of Aligarh Muslim University.
- Vardhman Mahavir Medical College and Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi: It is the 9th ranked college among the top 10 medical institutes that was established in 2001 and attached to the Safdarjung hospital. It is the largest Delhi government college and hospital which is fully equipped with the latest medical facilities. This college is equipped with excellent infrastructure and lab facilities; it has both undergraduate and postgraduate programs.
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Belgaum: This is the 10th ranked college among the top 10 best colleges in India. It is also the oldest college in the Karnataka state was established in 1963 in Belgaum. First, it was affiliated with the state of the Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Science. This college is also approved by the Medical Council of India and offers 200 seats for the students.
Other than government medical colleges here is a list of a few private medical colleges:
- NIMHANS Bangalore- National Institute of Mental Health and Neuroscience
- SGPGIMS Lucknow- Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Science
- Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham, Coimbatore
- KMC Manipal-Kasturba Medical College
- University College of Medical Science, Delhi
- M S Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore
- Hamdard Institute of Medical Sciences and Research, New Delhi
- SRM Medical College Hospital and Research Centre, Chennai
- Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences, Bhubaneswar
- Dr. D Y Patil Medical College Hospital and Research Centre, Pune
Might all the information contained in this article help you to select the best medical college as per your requirements? You just need to crack the eligibility test for the undergraduate and postgraduate level program. Later on, you have to enroll yourself in any best medical college in India.